Seasoned Sacramento Injury Attorneys
Request a Free Case Review 916.571.0400

When Should I File a Workers' Comp Claim?

As with most deadlines concerning workers’ comp, you’ll want to file your claim as soon as possible. If you’re injured on the job and report it to your employer, your employer should give you a Form DWC-1 within one working day after your accident. This is your workers’ compensation claim form, which also includes information about your rights and possible eligibility for benefits.

You should complete and submit your workers’ comp claim to your employer as soon as possible.

The information you fill out on Form DWC-1 is basic. It includes essential biographical information (your name, Social Security number, and address, for example) as well as essential information about the injury, such as the date it occurred, where it occurred, and which part of your body was hurt. There aren’t many lines to complete this information, so some brevity is OK.

There’s also a section your employer will fill out. This section includes information such as when your employer became aware of your injury, when you were given the claim form, and when you returned the claim form to your employer.

Concerning the information your employer provides in this section, ask to review it and verify its accuracy. If your employer’s information conflicts with yours, this can have adverse consequences for your claim. If you notice any discrepancies, this would be a good time to get in touch with an attorney.

For any assistance you need with workers’ comp, you can reach out to Smolich and Smolich online anytime.