Skip to Content
Seasoned Sacramento Injury Attorneys

How Do I Use My Supplemental Job Displacement Voucher?


In some cases, an on-the-job injury leaves a worker unable to return to their former position, but still able to work in some capacity. There are several options available for injured employees who are returning to the workforce.

One of these options is supplemental job displacement. Supplemental job displacement is a program that provides workers with a path to learning new skills and working in a different role following an on-the-job accident. To help with this, eligible workers are provided with a voucher that goes towards occupational training.

Who is Eligible for Supplemental Job Displacement?

Supplemental job displacement vouchers are available to employees who are physically able to work after sustaining an occupational injury, but cannot return to the position they worked in before their injury. This may be because their injury prevents them from completing the job responsibilities of their former role, or because their employer does not offer another option for continuing to work there (such as alternative work or modified work).

What Can My Supplemental Job Displacement Voucher Be Used For?

If you are eligible for supplemental job displacement, you will receive a voucher that can be applied toward job training programs and education. This includes technical schools, community colleges, four-year universities, apprenticeship programs, flight school, cosmetology training, and a variety of other options. You can apply your voucher toward learning a skill in a similar field or toward a career change if you choose.

Applying Your Supplemental Job Displacement Voucher

In California, supplemental job displacement vouchers for injuries that occurred after January 1, 2013 are equivalent to $6,000 in benefits. The vouchers can be applied to the cost of tuition and education materials. Vouchers can only be applied toward programs that are approved by the state of California. There is an Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL) available that you can refer to to find qualified programs. The state’s training provider search program allows workers to search through their database of providers and filter results depending on preferences.

You will need to complete the necessary application steps to be accepted into a training program. Once you find an eligible program that you are interested in, you can give your supplemental job displacement voucher to the program administration to use as payment. The training provider will work with the administrator of your workers’ compensation claim to ensure your expenses are covered.

The lawyers of Smolich and Smolich can guide you through every aspect of your workers’ compensation case. To learn how we can help out in your unique situation, get in touch with our firm today.

If you are interested in speaking with our legal team, complete our contact form or call (916) 571-0400 to schedule a free consultation with our attorneys.